This is not your average ‘porridge for breakfast’ but a antioxidant rich meal to serve the demanding needs of an athlete as well as those dedicated to healthier living, to which I add that no athlete will achieve their promise if they fail to manage a healthy diet.
Athletes that fail to respect the value of a proper diet will invariably fail to reach their utmost potential.
This is not a matter of debate but rather a simple fact as failing to provide the proper nutritional support only leans to less than optimal performance and, amongst other concerns, sets the stage for injury.
Peanut Butter Porridge with Peruvian Cacao
- 132 grams Porridge
- 75 grams of natural Peanut Butter
- 250 grams Greek (‘style’) yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons Manuka (‘raw’) Honey
- 6 (approximately 150 grams following pitting) Dates
- 2 tablespoon Peruvian Cacao
Methods of Preparation
- In small pot add 125 millilitres of water and bring to a boil as you add six dates after pitting. Turn mixture to simmer, ensuring dates dissolve completely before adding two tablespoons of Peruvian Cacao, mixing well. Whilst simultaneously cooking porridge, shift cacao mixture to double boiler and stir regularly.
- In medium sized pot bring one-half litre of water to boil before adding 250 millilitres of porridge and peanut butter. Reduce to low heat, stirring consistently as mixture cooks to desired consistency.
- Once porridge has cooked to desired consistency, remove from heat and stir in honey.
- Serve in large bowls, with yoghurt mixed on top of porridge and then layer cacao mixture.
Nutritional Summary (2 servings) *
* Please note the nutritional summary can vary substantially with choice of brands and even greater if one lowers the amount of dates utilised in the recipe. As it relates to ingredients, depending upon commercial brands of porridge, peanut butter and greek yogurt the final nutritional summary can shift measurably and it is strongly urged to review labels of all products considered. Furthermore if one wishes to lower the carbohydrate component please reduce, if not eliminate, dates.
Written by John Davies
©John Davies Consulting Services, 2016
All rights reserved