Food is fuel to serve the demands of athletic development.
Whether one is at the height of sport or a young athlete with dreams of the next level without the proper fuel no athlete can reach their potential. This is not a matter of debate but a simple scientific fact and a generation that does not teach proper dietary habits to children has failed to uphold the mantle of leadership.
However a proper diet need not be complicated and in the broad majority of cases it is ‘simplicity’ that is required, not complex solutions. Simplicity, for ‘real food’ does is not labelled with ingredients lists that require notes from a chemistry lecture or is served in a box. ‘Real food’ is direct from the earth, preferably a backyard or community garden and served at the family dinner table.
With that said and further to requests from the coaching community, the following is a breakfast of ‘simplicity’ that provides tremendous nutritional support as well being delicious and manageable to suit a variety of culinary skills.
- 5 large eggs
- 132 grams porridge
- 1/2 large Courgette (160 grams)
Methods of Preparation
- Whisk eggs and place in a small bowl.
- Grate one-half of a large courgette into a mixing bowl.
- Bring 473 grams of water to boil in a large pot.
- Once water has boiled add porridge, with a dash of sea salt and reduce heat to medium low. Add shredded eggs and grated courgette and stir consistently for approximately six minutes. As mixture thickens to desired consistency serve with optional toppings of almond, ample non pasteurised honey and greek (style) yoghurt.
Written by John Davies
©John Davies Consulting Services, 2016
All rights reserved